Christine,

Congratulations for the successful launch of Science Cafe in Maracha. This
is something I was passionate about since the first Science Cafe Launch in
Arua where I personally witnessed how useful Science Cafe can be to
connect, spread and exchange ideas within the community and the outside
world and also to bring the community together with their leaders to view,
evaluate and address some of the issues affecting the community. May be
that way the community members and leaders will begin to have a different
perspective of themselves as shareholders of the issues within their
locale. I would suggest that before the issues of poverty is probably
discussed, they should have a discussion of why there is a lot of hunger
inspite of their hard work in the fields,  there is shortage of food which
is the important aspect of their daily survival. Until the community begins
to have a serious perspective of water and food as the necessary
ingredients of human survival and development, it will be difficult to
address poverty. The issues of clean water and food should be seriously
discussed as a pre-requisite to discussing poverty in my view. Although,
the community is the one suggesting the topics of discussion, the
moderators of the discussions should be able to lead the community to view
some of these issues they want addressed from relating the topics to the
central issue of human survival.

Thank you so much for all your efforts and dedication.

Vasco