Charles and others,

You do not have to lose heart and become negative about the responses to the
appeals that the project has made for contributions. Not all initiatives pick
up at the same time and rate. The ones which start slow are at time the most
sustainable. You just need to keep sharing the dream and others will catch the
fire eventually.

Most of us in the West Nile Community have realized the precurious situation we
are in as far as educational standards in the sub-region (which I prefer
calling a region, leave alone other dreams) are, as far as our strategic
position in this country and the Great Lakes region is concerned. We are
disadvantaged in the short term (to some good extent due to our own internal
shortcomings) but it is not too late for the mid-term and long run. Now that we
know where we are standing now.

This forum has very many great ideas. Much as we often lament on the lack of
"action", we just need to know that not everyone will start off on these ideas.
There are very few who can start off, others will always join such noble
causes. The very many great ideas should keep coming to this forum. This forum
is acting as depositary of great ideas on how to transform West Nile in a more
sustainable way, taking into account our current situation(s), and future(s) in
terms of our strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (which for now we
have in equal measures). Let the few pick on these ideas and start documenting
and implementing. Others will come on board for sure. History has a lot to tell
of things that started small but ended up transforming communities and the
world. Often as a result of the initiatives of individuals. Some of these great
ideas for transforming West Nile require our physical presence in West Nile
while others can be done
 through "remote sensing" while others require both efforts. Whatever it takes,
let us start however small. The saying goes, "never underestimate humble
beginnings". There are already many small initiatives that are already on the
ground in West Nile, and else where but with West Nile in mind. Let us support
such and encourage the develop more. Do not expect the transformation of West
Nile to come from some where (institutions and individuals in various forms),
those are just opportunities that may facilitate the process. It is you and me.
We may never live to see the full extent of the contribution we will have made
but we can lay the foundations where they are not yet there and build on the
past foundations.

For me the greatest thing that has happened to us the people from West Nile is
the realization of the current situation we are in as West Nile and the shared
desire for a greater West Nile in all aspects.

There are already posts about the 100 years of West Nile next year, there is so
much that we can do to commemorate the historical event in our history as West
Nile. Our history is so rich and captivating that you can imagine. Much as a
lot of it undocumented. This can be the starting point of documenting and
assembling physical, photographic, video, etc of our history. I have always
thought of a museum about West Nile and other tourism promotion besides other
development initiatives for West Nile. Most tourism attractions are creations
by individuals and communities. We already have good foundations to build on.
We have a number of historical sites spread across West Nile of historical,
social (traditional practices, people of rich diversity, religious sites and
institutions), economic, environmental (wild life, flora and fauna), etc
significance.

We will get there.

Felix

Andama Felix Adiburu
CONSULTANT - Public Administration and Management
Uganda Management Institute
Plot 44-52, Jinja Road
P. O Box 20131
Kampala - Uganda