From: Kiggundu Mukasa <kiggu...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [WestNileNet] Lugbara
To: "A Virtual Network for friends of West Nile" <westnilenet@kym.net>
Date: Tuesday, June 4, 2013, 6:47 AM

Basil,English is also still grappling with this (but in a very small way) for
example
My birthday PRESENT to your son was a toy carI would like to PRESENT my wifeI
never plan, i live in the PRESENT moment.
Thus giving the sentence
Would you like to present the present in the present?
:-)
But it happens a lot more in Lugbara I know :-)
Rose and Basil,Why not propose use a diacritic mark above (and or below
letters) to in Lugbara when writing (kind of like the Irish, Danish, Spanish,
French etc. etc. do).
So you could keep the same spelling of ORI but each accent would tell you which
letter to make longer or deeper or sharper, shorter etc. etc..So you cram the
accents once, and then depending on where it is on any letter of a word you
know how to pronounce itOtherwise you would have to cram 8 spellings of ORI and
then 5 spellings of ALETI etc. etc. etc.
So giving the French example
The accent mark over this letteré is an acute accent.

The accent mark over this letter
è is a grave accent.

The accent mark over this letter
ê is a circumflex accent.
The accent mark over this letterë is a dieresis accent
Read more about Diacritic marks here;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacritic
Kiggs