Dear Richard,
I wish to thank you for sharing with us the writer's views on why Ugandans
"don't keep time". However, the problem with the article is that it assumes
that time is a universal concept which it is not. Time is a socio-culturally
specific concept whose alleged management or rather mismanagement is dependent
on the material conditions. In the Western World where I have spent the last
seven or so years, time is mainly viewed as a private property that people own
individually. It has a market value for which it can be sold or bought. This
makes time a scarce commodity which had to be calibrated into hours, minutes
and seconds to be put on office walls in form of clocks and on people's arms as
watches.
In Africa, time is not necessarily a private property. Not at all! On the
contrary it is a communal resource which is best shared with others through
social interactions ranging from family meetings, meal times, ordinary
conversations, greetings, funerals, drinking places, marriage ceremonies,
parties, to economic transactions. In Africa time is not an abstract concept
symbolized by clocks and watches that exist independent of us. It is part and
parcel of our being. It is fluid and it flows with you from one activity to
another. Our time is marked by the end of an activity in which one has been
involved. Once the activity has ended, it is time for the next activity. This
makes the African rather elastic contrary to the Western concept of time.

So, before one rashes to blame Africans for not keeping time, it would be
advisable to first reflect on the assumed universality of time on the basis of
which one would more meaningful arguments. Next time when someone blames you of
not keeping time ask him or her which time or rather whose time and give them
some food for thought.

Thanks.

Sam Andema