I have been pondering at the reasons for what the western media is calling
"a sudden backtracking" by the government of Uganda on the
Anti-homosexuality law recently. As far as I am concerned, the law is still
law until it is scrapped or withdrawn for further review like the
"miniskirt bill" recently, isn't it?

Obviously, pressure from western donors comes to mind when we look at the
reasons for clarifying the "misunderstanding" as government put it.

As western countries withdraw crucial support to Uganda's public service,
particularly the health sector, government is the first to fill the pinch.

Many civil servants' salaries depend directly from donations.

Citizens generally might not feel any difference for services we haven't
tangibly seen or felt in our pockets and stomachs.

But at a more fundamental level, there is something going on behind the
scenes that could be more worrying: The legal action taken against the
Anti-homosexuality law.

The court action that comprises amongst others, the prominent
journalist/businessman Andrew Mwenda and the Presidential Advisor Fox Odoi.

While many might think that the effort of this group is futile because the
Anti-gay law seemingly has overwhelming public support in Uganda, we should
be alert to the fact that cases in court take their own different course
based on other parameters: The Constitution, Human Rights and the laws of
the land.

The judges will have to consider whether any citizen has the right to free
choice of sexuality.

In my view, those that have taken the matter to court are most likely to
win.

They have alot of international experience that they can tap into from
precedences in the west where the matter of decriminalizing homosexuality
has seen tough battles in court already.

The result has been the flooring of Anti-homosexuality laws in court.

With the inexperience of having ever dealt with such cases, I doubt that
the Attorney General is equipped with any experimental capacity to win.

On behalf of the people who dont want to see homosexuality become an open
practice in this country, I would urge the govermment to be more visionary
on this matter.

Imagine what happens when the bill is defeated in court. It is almost
guaranteed that the supporters of homosexuality will go for the jugular:
Same-sex marriage rights. And they will do this under the same principles
of human rights.

Is our legal framework ready for this? Has the Attorney General advised
government on the courses of action available and their chances of success.

Government must be pragmatic and see beyond emotions and religious
arguments.

Judges can't rule on a matter based on the writings of the Coran or the
teachings of the Gospel.

They have to stick to what the laws written by parliament advise. These
laws include the Constitution which already guarantees freedom of
expression and human rights. The very ingredients that defeated
criminalizing homosexuality in the west.

The government of Uganda has now ushered in the era of long legal battles
on homosexuality.

The same that we have been passively hearing about taking place in the
west. In the US, individual states accept same-sex marriage, only for
another judge to cancel it by a stay of execution pending other cases, and
then a federal judge would strike down the state judges decision, and now
we have the federal state recognizing all same-sex marriages even when they
aren't yet recognized at the local state level.

So are we ready for that fight as well?

Because that is the most likely course of events if the case against the
anti-homosexuality law is defeated in court.

In fact the defeat would be more immediate in our system where one court
decides what is valid for the whole country.

As it stands, the issue ahead after they fight the anti-homosexuality law,
is same-sex marriage.

And the country (politicians, legislators and civil society) needs to
prepare for that without engaging in religious quotes because those wont
count for the judges in court.

Their are solutions and strategies that legal and political minds should
already have in the safe.

The problem with same sex marriage is that if we get to a stage where the
courts force govermment to approve it under the principles of human rights,
then we would be opening a pandora box for all sorts of madness and love
fallacies to be approved and certified by the state.

I just read a story where an Australian is celebrating her one year
anniversary of marrying a french bridge (Daily Mail 11/7/2014
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2688498/Rock-solid-The-Australian-woman-married-BRIDGE-celebrates-one-year-anniversary.html
).

There was another story last year of a priest officiating at a marriage
between an American woman and a roller coaster (
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507065/You-spin-right-round-Florida-woman-gets-married-ferris-wheel-named-Bruce-previous-relationships-airplane-train.html
).

Obviously something is wrong in their legislation. Because how will the
state handle matters of sharing property in the case of a divorce. What
about when the human dies, or the bridge collapses.

If their governments have approved these marriages then they find
themselves wasting state time and resources dealing with psychotic rights.

We have to take pre-emptive steps to avoid such eventualities, and we have
to do it with laws. That is what vision is about, isn't it? Looking ahead
and solving oncoming problems before they exist and bother us.

In the meantime, putting forth long term strategies suitable to our
communities on sexuality matters might become difficult for Ugandans since
selected Honorable Members of Parliament and government officials have been
slapped with travel bans and other sanctions.

So our politicians might be afraid of dealing with anything "sexuality" at
the moment.

Well they shouldn't. Especially those already under sanctions.

In fact, any new approach should serve as a means to see the lifting of
these sanctions without backstabbing the people who overwhelmingly are
against decriminalizing homosexuality.

The new approach should also go as far as seeing the resumption of aid to
the sectors where we are obviously unable to cope regardless of the chest
thumping we are engaged in these days.

My main concern is that many activists including myself would be willing to
put clear suggestions for debate, but I am not sure government has a
clever, decisive strategy moving forward at the moment.

Hussein Juruga Lumumba Amin Former Media Consultant