"I read with shock the Daily Monitor article titled "How Amin killed
Benedict Kiwanuka" written by Mugabe Faustin.
It made me realize that the history of Uganda in regards to the late
Chief Justice is solely based on one Daniel Mulemezi's version. I
asked myself what happened to impartiality in establishing justice and
truth since it is clearly obvious that his story is completely
unsubstantiated.
First, it is quite unusual for such an important police investigation
to be conducted by one individual. The standing procedure usually
involves the matter being discussed with senior officers before the
investigation is sanctioned. They would then assign the task to a
designated detective officer with a team. But according to the
inquiries findings, it seems we have one allegded officer going around
on his own.
Secondly, their appears to be no effort to cross examine witness
Mulemezi or to require that he substantiates his claims. Shouldn't at
least another third party corroborate Mulemezi's story?
I would have expected Mr. Mulemezi's official police investigation
reports to be tabled at the commission of inquiry as a minimum
evidence proving if he indeed conducted any investigation at all or if
he was a policeman as he claims. How does anyone know if he is telling
the truth.
Establishing the truth requires a robust process. But the story makes
the inquiry look like we may have been dealing with a Kangaroo court.
It is on record that Amin had ordered Ben Kiwanuka's release from jail
after the 1971 takeover and appointed him Chief Justice. It is also
known that when the Chief Justice disappeared, Amin clearly stated
that the Ugandans in exile had most likely orchestrated an abduction.
How is Mulemezi's story more credible than Amin?
The Obote group in Tanzania was able to discredit Amin through
killings and disappearances that were meticulously planned in Tanzania
then. Some of whom are in the NRA government that established the
inquiry on Benedict Kiwanuka's death.
The book "The Guardian Angel" by Arnold Bisase discusses the rebels
subversive activities that involved targeting senior government
personalities for assassination. It also portrays the infighting and
greed for power amongst the exiles.
So excuse me if I find Mr. Mulemezi's story insufficient in
substance/clout to be presented to Ugandans as the official historical
account about the disappearance of the late Chief Justice Benedict
Kiwanuka. May His Soul Rest In Peace!
The article, especially Daniel Mulemezi's story, could easily be
comparable to hot "wolokoso" served to the nation. Especially if the
matter is scrutinized under strict, fair conventional judicial
standards.

Hussein Juruga Lumumba Amin

(You can read the Monitor story in this link below and judge for
yourselves:
http://www.monitor.co.ug/Magazines/PeoplePower/How-Idi-Amin-shot-Kiwanuka-to-death/-/689844/2459590/-/5a3itg/-/index.html
)