AFRICAN.UNION: SINCERELY, WHOSE UNION?

Photo: Mugabe and other AU delegates sleeping during deliberations.

soldiers on "peace-keeping missions" who had to face mortal dangers
against daring rebels, while the politicians dined and wined without
making any single diplomatic break-through in peace negociations for
years on behalf of African populations in conflict zones.

Share

I did a stint as UN support staff to the African Union during the
establishment of the AU-UN Hybrid Mission in Darfur. I was amazed at
African Union's relaxed administrative processes when I arrived.

The AU's organic composition, from HQ to field operations, oozes
mostly the unprofessionalism, cronyism and the "who cares" attitude to
procedures and accountability that we find in many African nations
public services.

Only the monthly salaries in US Dollars seemed to matter to many staff.

Honestly, on Darfur, the UN who are even better paid, seemed more
concerned than the African Union people I found.

Imagine work at AU headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia where
diplomatic staff are posted there as political favors back in their
respective countries rather than their professional abilities.

If only they had determination like say the European Union or Gulf
Cooperation Council who tackle issues that affect business, education
and health of their people, I would be optimistic about our continents
prospects.

I actually felt sorry for the minimally-equipped AU foot soldiers on
"peace-keeping missions" who had to face mortal dangers against daring
rebels, while the politicians dined and wined without making any
single diplomatic break-through in peace negociations for years on
behalf of the populations in conflict zones.

Insteas, like recently, President Museveni raises the issue of the
international criminal court.

His first target is to call an AU summit to discuss boycotting the
ICC. Something that had already failed miraculously last year.

The sad point here is that the AU is being used only when there are
issues that affect a few persons in leadership.

Because when it comes to the issue of migrants dangerously crossing
the mediteranean sea and dying while trying to get to Europe, there is
no summit.

They failed to organize even a singe minute of silence for the victims
of Lampedusa. Something that the Italian people on the island actually
did on behalf of the continent.

The AU has failed to intervene in Libya to save sub-saharan Africans
from persecution that continues since Gadhafi was assassinated.

The problems surrounding African.labourers being exploited in Europe
and in the gulf countries is never discussed.

The institution can't take a firm stand on internal governance issues
with member countries.

Personally, I have never heard of them holding a high level
anti-corruption summit.

When will they produce guidelines and minimum standards for democracy
and elections amongst member nations in a way that whoever doesn't
abide is sent to the isolation corner, while serious efforts are made
for the culprit to abide by the rules for our continents sake.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the African Union needs to
start serving the African people rather than remain sensitive only to
the leaders problems.

And this can only be when African Union starts serving the African
people and defending Africa's interests.

They cam do that if we Africans snd our civil society organizations
start continuously demanding accountability about what they are doing
for the African people.

The United Nations and donor countries need to open up about the
amounts involved in their cooperation with the institution and what
results are their to show.

My advice to those friendly countries (China, Western donors and also
Russia who is a major supplier in military hardware) is that as they
try to work with the AU they should first focus on making it a
meaningful organization.

And for that, they should be aware of how the institution is used for
individual interests as opposed to how it is supposed to function as a
global cooperation institution as well a defender of African
interests.

If development funding for individual countries could be done within
the framework of the African Union, then it definitely would give the
AU more leverage within nations economic affairs while making the
institution subject to yet unparalelled scrutiny on its decisions
processes.

That way, the AU will have a meaningful, respectable and productive
role to play as a key oversight tool for Africa.

Many things can then easily come together; including integrated
economies, education systems, health services, interlinkinh
infrastructure development plus peace & security.

Only then can we talk of Africans starying to genuinely take interest
in solving Africa's problems.

The writer, Mr. Hussein Juruga Lumumba Amin is an independent politician.