The Victims
------------------

"The victims of Obote’s genocidal massacres fall into three main
categories: the Baganda, the "Banyarwanda” and West Nile.

Following Obote’s fraudulent return to power in 1980, it did not
require a lot of effort for the Baganda to translate their
longstanding and deep-seated abhorrence for the man and his UPC into
open rebellion.

The UPC sprang onto the political scene as a party to contain Buganda.

Obote did his best to live up to that mission.

In a 12 August 1980 secret memo, Obote laid out a UPC strategy of
conduct before, during and after elections. Urging party adherents to
remember “…how much the Baganda hate me personally,” further proposing
that “the Baganda should be intimidated” because “there was no way
their cooperation can be solicited.”

Obote further states that "if necessary leaders of other parties
should be eliminated.”

Elsewhere, a witness quotes Obote as having warned the people of
Soroti, saying, “I warn you people of Soroti, if you behave like a
certain tribe you know very well, I shall not hesitate at all, I will
send my boys to destroy both you and your property. I repeat, I will
send my boys to destroy both your lives and property. I say this for
God and my country... A good Muganda is a dead one” (Uganda
Government, 1995).

That was Obote’s hair-trigger readiness to mete out anguish on
populations in Uganda."

Extract: State-Inspired Genocidal Persecution in Uganda, 1980-85.