Bonjour!

The somewhat comical news that the entire Ugandan media has reportedly been
banned by the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) from hosting an
individual, Mr. Tamale Mirundi, is actually concerning for those looking
ahead at the long term leadership trends and the possible democratic gains
or reversals in Uganda.
UCC is the state institution referred to as the media regulator. It's work
actually includes insuring free speech.
I don't want to waste time citing laws and statutes here since I assumed
they were firmly tucked under UCC's, and all stake holders medula oblongata.
However the regulatory framework that the regulator abides by, is one
intended to promote freedom of expression as well as the overall media
industry, rather than prohibit it's development.
An industry that offers jobs to qualified Ugandans, offers experience to
young interns but most importantly, the media is the most essential tool in
providing information to the people.
It is therefore a critical component in fostering economic development.
This it does through providing independent information that either educates
the public on a limitless range of topics but also influences consumer
choice through messages that inform large audiences about trends
and availabilities in the various markets.
UCC is also the institution that should be open to new communication tools
and trends that become available to the public as technological innovations
occur.
But threatening to shut down technologies such as social media as happened
earlier this year, is proof of being unable to catch up with a fast
changing industry, and being unable to cope with its demands for up-to-date
adaptations at the operational as well as the regulatory level. This might
therefore suggest some professional incompetence in an industry that is
today notorious for being spearheaded by an extremely creative and
tech-savvy youth.
For media professionals, and I was formerly one, fighting for free speech
is a default activity. It's basically like fighting to continue to earn a
living from ones trade that somebody is always trying to curb for some
reason or another, yet knowing the significant exponential gains the
industry brings to a country and its socio-economic fabric.
In contrast, lawyers for example might first quote the 18th century French
writer, historian and philosopher known as Voltaire, the ardent advocate of
freedom of religion and freedom of expression who said: "I disagree with
what you say but I will fight to the death for your right to say it."
I usually hear both government and opposition (plus their respective
supporters) discuss the right to freedom of speech.
One side regularly boasts for having brought freedom of speech to Uganda
(I'll have to explain to them later what the word inalienable rights
means), while the other is constantly fighting for their right to speak
freely. They are fighting because the first group is trying to take that
right from them through threats and other back door means.
I can confirm that since 1995, the independent media has been relentless in
fighting tooth and nail to maintain it's right to free speech.
They have been under constant behind-the-curtain attacks from mostly
government agents of all kinds, including senior army officers, government
ministers, RDC's...etc. Mostly at an individual capacity.but using the
office they represent.
Some media houses have literally been forced to self censure or abandon
their editorial independence altogether and now function as mouth pieces
rather than communicating independently and in a neutral way. Alarmingly, I
am yet to hear or see a single instance where UCC intervenes in the media's
defence during such moments where a media house experiences coercion from
external interests. Yet in their interactions with the Uganda media owners
association, they receive regular specific complaints of this nature that
they should actually start acting on to set an example that clearly deters
unscrupulous individuals from interfering with the editorial independence
of media houses.
I am still trying to get around aanother recent ban by the Electoral
Commission of a brilliant, realistic, non-partisan voter education advert.
If banning was a gun, such incidents would qualify some folks for being
comparable to the overzealous, trigger happy Local Defense Unit chaps.
UCC was gone silent on this ban.yet they should have been available to
advise/counsel the Electoral Commission on the validity/invalidity of their
complaint about the said commercial. And the Electoral Commission should
have avoided overstepping boundaries by first inquiring from UCC about
their concerns on the media product in question.
People in positions of authority should have known by now that defamation
laws exist for a purpose, and any aggrieved party can and should seek
redress IN COURT.
Redress includes corrections, apologies or other reparations if slander has
been proved.
However some folks say one thing in public, then practice the opposite
immediately after. It's like those who go to church Sunday morning, but are
found at the witchdoctor's Sunday evening drinking some foul concoction
that should allegedly get them favor, popularity, boss positions or
unspecified riches.
The Uganda Communications Commission has therefore taken a radical
pre-judicial step by banning the entire country's media from hosting one
individual.
The threat of revoking the license of any broadcaster who goes against
their directive is possibly criminal, and surely unfair.
Mr. Mirundi should sue UCC for crimes they didn't imagine they have just
committed and which could cause substantial financial loss to the state,
and therefore to the taxpayer.
The media is free to host the bugger, and he is free to speak to the media.
Though my concern with the gentleman is that he is more qualified as Mama
Fina's business associate, advising on relationship/bedroom matters, rather
than a professional advisor to the president on media affairs.
Capital radio or CBS radio might have the most popular evening/night show
if they hired Mr. Mirundi to tandem a program with some journo/presenter.
And it is Hussein the former media expert opining here. Thank me later.
However, what Uganda's Constitution allegedly guarantees is "Inalienable
rights". And this includes the right to free speech.
Inalienable rights are defined by the Encyclopedia Britanica as rights that
cannot be given by anyone or any legal entity, and cannot be taken away by
anyone or any legal entity.
Basically one already has these rights even before they are born.
Similarly, a media house has them even before it is created.
And when they abuse that right with defamation, the courts are there to
decide on the situation.
Does UCC mean that the Ugandan media is now not allowed ever to host Mr.
Mirundi for the rest of his life? What law in this country allows that?
In my view they have viciously overstepped their mandate somehow here.
First by abusing the media's right to choose who they host. Then.by
dictatorial.preventing one individual in 37 million from accessing the
media even if he paid for the service.
Even Osama Bin Laden tapes were aired on CNN when the editors decided so.
At the time he was the most wanted terrorist in the world.
Poor Mirundi!
We are said to have highly educated fellows managing the UCC. They are
taking drastic measures and demanding that they be enforced by the entire
nations media, yet aimed against one innocent, law-abiding, uncorrupt
public servant albeit with incurable verbosis.
I don't know about my colleagues in the media fraternity, but this clearly
indicates abuse of authority. One that I hereby wouldn't want to refer to
as so obviously ridiculous that it might as well have been initiated by
someone who is also yet to be diagnosed with medulla oblastoma.
Ladies and gentlemen, Uganda needs to keep up with the times.
Any modern leader worth his talk should have discouraged/scrapped this UCC
decision and the recent ban by the Electoral Commission on a voter
education commercial.
There are certain principles that are beyond election seasons. They are
their for the long term, for all citizens, for future Ugandans and the
country's guests, so that they may all enjoy the most peaceful, prosperous
and progressive country possible, isn't it?

by Hussein Lumumba Amin
Kampala, Uganda

04/12/2015