2016 GLOBAL FUND GRANTS AUDIT - Uganda.

The audit says lack of credible management led to "pervasive stock-outs of
key medicines, unexplained stock differences, funds that could not be
accounted for, serious lapses in services to patients and poor grant
oversight."

On March 4th, the new US Ambassador Mme. Deborah Malac had this emotional
and blunt reaction:
"Truly dismayed to read the shocking details of the Global Fund audit of
Uganda ’s health management systems. It notes ineffective supply chain,
theft of medicine and failure to spend millions of dollars in assistance on
drugs. This report should be required reading for anyone who cares about
Uganda’s health systems."

As corruption seems to persist even on Global Fund grants which have
already been at the center of a national corruption scandal previously, and
as Uganda's image is hereby tarnished internationally, the country should
increase political will to support health professionals and the health
sector. Plus behave more responsibly with its own destiny by stopping to
take laced international aid that subtly maintains an independent country
under unclear foreign patronism.

In the future, before we accept any aid funds, we might want to ask what
exactly is the donors national interest when they provide certain grants to
us? Then we can assess if that ulterior interest is also in our interest or
not

Hussein Lumumba Amin.
Kampala, Uganda.
07/03/2016

Here is the must-read Global Fund Audit summary:
theglobalfund.org/en/oig/updates/2016-02-26_Audit_of_Global_Fund_Grants_in_Uganda/