APPLIED CHANGE: DEAR ELDERS FORUM/CONCERNED CITIZENS.

09/03/2016

We have a recent historic precedent when Uganda's political opponents sat
together peacefully, talked with civility, argued diplomatically (all for
Uganda), and concluded by holding hands, in prayer, during the Presidential
debates.
So what is this highly polarized tension today?
Nothing justifies divisive politics. Is it about refusing collective
governance? Or is it about wanting the country to disintegrate? What is it?
If we have reached where people now attack police stations (stealing
guns?), aren't we back fighting over rigged elections?
That can't be development. Its either political or criminal.
So to those who organized the recent presidential debates (the
Inter-Religious Council (IRCU) & The Elders’ Forum), your important work
has only started. While your debate theme was “Working Together for
Peaceful and Violence-Free 2016 Elections” we forgot to ask each candidate
the important question about how they would ethically work TOGETHER for
Uganda AFTER February.
This time it isn't a TV show ending with great poetry that Uganda needs,
but a national round table on the concrete hard reality about how this
country applies progressist unity.
In 2015 during the official launch of the Elders Forum in Entebbe, Museveni
himself said: "I'm happy to be associated with this great effort. We
resolve conflicts through dialogue & not confrontation or manipulation.
Dialogue must be thorough not superficial."
Kenya's Ambassador Betheul Kiplagat, a distinguished elder who has
negotiated for peace in Kenya and other conflicts on the African continent,
delivered the key note address where he told The Elders Forum: “When a
problem surfaces, take the initiative. Dialogue is the key for peace and
unity."
I kindly request that someone reminds the eminent elders these humble
thoughts or any other more relevant suggestions.
Uganda politicians of all allegiances working in unison for the country is
possible. And while fundamental change was a valid path for this country,
what Uganda requires now is Applied Change.

Hussein Lumumba Amin
Uganda.