The country's current political discourse seems founded on outdated
post-independence politics and related alliances. A congestion that is
preventing politics that befit modern times.
Stagnation cannot be advancement. It ultimately affects the socio-economic
fabric. That is why a fresh perspective is required so that the country can
genuinely break through towards new political opportunities for more
openness, and transparency in leadership as is expected in the 21st century.
The young people of today cannot be held hostage to history. This is their
chance to also make history in their own new ways. Why would anyone want to
bottleneck their opportunities?
Many struggles continue: The strife for local technological innovation.
More locally owned industrial capacity probably under increased Private
Public Partnerships. We need development to also be based on bold economic
expansionist policies where successful Ugandan companies also set up shop
abroad and repatriate profits home. We need investment in world class
Sports activities and facilities that can put the country on the map again.
The struggle for women's emancipation in all fields of socio-economic
activities never stops. Increased grass-roots understanding of rights,
freedoms and civic duties constantly needs well meaning young activists and
volunteers. Plus many other areas where an innovative, determined and
adventorous spirit remains the backbone. Including possibly establishing a
world class news media that informs us about ourselves rather than depend
on western media who often have their own supremacist influences at play.
An intercontinental African current affairs and history media could find
interested viewers all over the continent. An undertaking that could help
African countries see themelves for where they truly are comparatively, and
could also help establish brand Uganda internationally. Are we seeing
ourselves being competitive at such continental levels? These forward
looking ideas were there in the past and should be pursued as impetus and
motivation for our own development.
It is in that regard that todays leadership needs to open up even further
so that those capable of pushing the country forward aren't held down for
selfish reasons. It should be an arena of productive ideas and actions
where any individuals personal achievements and visionary innovations can
also propell national progress and development.
It is impossible that all the ingenuity comes from one individual or one
political party. Therefore systems that encourage and recognize all
contributions and efforts ought to be established as a means for even more
progress away from our constant politics about how Uganda was in 1986 or
who fought Obote in Luweero. Events that to this day await justice anyway.
There is the urgency to craft a new and sober national consensus for a
free, stable, prosperous and equitable future. A future that is devoid of
the current chronic partisanship as well. Obviously the prevailing
situation is increasingly detrimental to improvements in the nations
political well-being. Today abuse of office has become institutionalized as
a normal tool against political opponents as well as for personal gain.
This has reached worrying levels especially since the start of campaigns
last year where state institutions had seemingly chosen their candidate and
would not allow any other. Today we have heavy gunfire at military
barracks' and police facilities every other week. The press is awash with
news about ongoing arrests around the country of alleged "coup plotters".
The leading opposition leader and many other activists and supporters are
languishing in jail on charges ranging from treason to unknown.
Also worrying is corruption that could now have become the defacto system
rather than the anomaly within the system.
All these indicate leadership failure. A failure to upgrade our thinking
and aspirations for the better and with the times.
For example, when election results were contested, common sense says we
verify them and compare them with the Biometric Voter Verification system.
Wasn't it that simple?
The country would by now be seen as firmly on a credible and genuine
democratic track.
But look at how things have clearly changed for the worse in just a short
period of time. It is because people still have a skewed mentality of who
should lead the country. And that idea clearly has nothing to do with
democracy, nor does it have anything to do with who the people really
chose. It can't be a logical concept because that is what genuine voting is.
Since the start of campaigns last year, how many Ugandans have perished at
the hands of men in uniform implementing the so-called "orders from above"?
I really need to see the statistics on this. Particularly a compilation of
the names and their pictures as well. That way we could all understand how
true our claims of building peace or long term stability are.
There is immense work ahead in order to transform leadership minds into a
more visionary and selfless disposition so that the strides that we can
achieve as a nation are qualitatively outstanding.
Can a new class of technocrats take on the task of preventing decline and
re-routing public administration to it's basic function of uniting the
country, serving the people, and building a nation?
Yes or no?

Written by Mr. Hussein Juruga Lumumba Amin
Kampala, Uganda.
Email: husseinamin...@gmail.com

Date: 20/06/2016