Lugbara, Kakwa and Madi have used a court system of elders for many
generations

   1. Elders are the judges who are called to debate/discuss many cases
   involving conflicts over land, adultery, theft, domestic violence, murder,
   etc. In a village where there are many clans, each clan has their elder
   chief and a deputy. Whenever an issue requires all the elders from a
   particular village, all of them are summoned by the elder in the clan where
   the issue/problem has occurred.  The elders discuss the problem and levy
   fines based on the gravity of the problem. This local court system is
   practiced up to today.
   2. Secondly elders practice what is called LUCUO. Typically elders are
   summoned to discuss misfortune someone is having. Common example I have
   seen and know is someone loosing their children all the time or someone who
   is barren. Elders gather to talk about the potential enemies of that person
   who may be acting against the victim. Normally, each elder comes with a
   chicken. They dig holes called ONDA. They slaughter these chickens and if a
   chicken without head flies, falls and dies in the hole in front of
   somebody, they claim that person is the enemy. Most Lugbara elders who have
   never gone to school practice these things up today.

I hope someone can add more

JJ