I would like to express my congratulations to the natonal soccer team
Uganda Cranes for the well deserved win against Congo Brazzaville. A step
closer to the next world cup Russia 2018.
I pray for their continued success.
We as a country must ensure our full support at all times. But the state
needs to institutionalize support for sports with concrete actions that
uplift the sector.
In the President Idi Amin days, the national team was fully handled by
government. All their facilitation from training, to playing abroad, even
victory bonuses with state sponsored holidays, was promptly organized and
settled by the state. That os why there was moral. all thet needed to do
was focus on defeating any competitor.
Supporting the cranes was a national standard rather than todays constant
calls for help from individuals and wellwishers.
As if it isn't a Uganda Cranes national team but some Uganda Karooli's
football club.
So there is need to permanently return them into the proud and fierce
Uganda Cranes national team that they once were. Because for decades since
1979 there was total neglect.
When people were complaining about the cranes downfall all these years,
those responsible were maybe thinking the discussion was about Crane Bank,
the only Crane they were intetested in. Even that bank seems to be
collapsing lately.
Yet for a nation and for its young generation, sports builds determination
to succeed.
Sports builds physical health and psychological alertness.
Sports builds teamwork and coordination towards team success.
Sports builds a culture of preparation and self upgrading.
Sports builds fairplay in people and society.
Sports means we can compete fiercely during the game but once the final
whistle is blown, we instantly become the best of friends. Society needs
that spirit especially in local government and national politics.
Sports is the one moment people from all religions, and politcal
affiliations unite.
People who can't see the benefits of sports in human beings and in society,
usually display ignorant intellectualism to try and brush good aside.
Sports even teaches one to quit when they have reached their natural time.
Because by then continuing to play is tantamount to letting down the entire
team and its supporters because of ones depleted energy.
In the meantime my best wishes to the Uganda Cranes!