Call for Papers: Dialogic Ethnography Workshop on Chinese in Africa

About the workshop

Over the past decade, scholars, and especially young scholars, have been engaged in truly multi-sited and sometimes even transregional fieldworks focusing on the everyday life experiences of Chinese individuals, families and other groups living in African countries. We would like to critically engage with, and thoroughly reflect on ethnographic research that focuses on the (re)construction of social identities, class (re)making and issues of race/ethnicity and gender, small-scale entrepreneurship, labor relations, livelihood, or the multiple meanings of migration. Studying a field where the transnational is almost tangible, poses not only organizational, but also multiple methodological and theoretical challenges, about which there is surprisingly little discussion.

Believing that these methodological and theoretical challenges are too important to be relegated to the ‘methods’ section of dissertations and other publications, this workshop will bring together PhD students and early stage post-docs who have conducted ethnographic field research on Chinese communities in African countries. In order to address these challenges, this workshop would like to probe with the following questions: 1. How do we get access to the field? 2. How do we formulate the field? 3. How do we contextualize our findings in a local as well as in transnational contexts? 4. What are the challenges of multi-sited ethnography? 5. Where are the limits of transregional comparison?

Read More →