Hack Kampbjørn wrote:
> Florian Fuessl wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > why does a directory listing on: wget ftp://ftp.mcafee.com or any
> > subdirectories of this server not work.
> > Other FTP servers seem to work fine.
> [...]
>
> Connecting to ftp.mcafee.com:21... Created fd 3.
> connected!
> Logging in as anonymous ... 220 sncwebftp2 Microsoft FTP Service
> (Version 5.0).
> [...]
>
> Aha it's a Microsoft so called "FTP Server" with DOS dirstyle listing.
> This listing format is unsupported in wget 1.6. You can:
>  - ask ftp.mcafee.com to change there default to unix listing which is
> supported
>  - patch the 1.6 code so that it issues an DIRSTYLE command at
> connection

I made a patch like that quite long ago. Unfortunately, it was a version
prior to wget-1.5.3. Actually, it was wget-1.5.2. I'm not sure it will
work with wget-1.6, but anyway you may try. I didn't apply it to the
later releases because administrator of a site I used to work with had
changed the listing type setting.

I couldn't find my message in the mail list archive at
http://www.mail-archive.com/wget%40sunsite.dk/.

The subject was: "feature request: ftp SITE commands to initialize ftp
server"

If you are interesting in the patch, I'll post it in the mailing list.
Just let me know.