On 04.04.01 at 16:03 Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

>Please use wget-patches for submitting patches, not for general
>discussion about Wget features.
>
>"Christian Fraenkel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I thought a lot about wget lately and came up with some ideas(you
>> could also call it a personal roadmap). I would like to try
>> implement these ideas, too. I just wanted to ask for your oppinions
>> about these ideas.
>>
>> longtime goal: make wget a real daemon.
>
>Maybe I'm missing something.
>
>Wget is designed to be a useful command-line tool.  I would love it to
>become more useful for the users, but this doesn't really sound like
>an improvement.  What's the point of Wget being a daemon?

Running wget on the local host as a daemon doesn't make much sense,
I agree. I had bigger networks in mind when writing this. Instead of running
multiple wgets on different machines, or even as different users on the
same machine, I would like to give my users the possibillity to yust append
their downloads to the central download queue of the sole wget daemon.
(via a client that accepts wget syntax / gui interface). This way the server
could do central bandwidth throttling( if that gets ever implemented in a
portable way). Also the download would be faster for the individual user.
(given wget queues in a intelligent way e.g. give smaler files a priority boost).

I also think that this client/server behaviour should be implemented in
seperate binaries(based uppon wget sources with a different main.c
for example) so that the behaviour of wget isn't changed.

Regards

Christian