On 28 May 2001, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> But still, let me see if I got it right:
>
> - without the changes, Wget won't compile with Autoconf 2.50

 It mostly will, except of a failure in the po subdirectory due to a
missing Makefile.

> - with the changes, Wget won't compile with Autoconf 2.13.

 It will, at least in place.  Haven't checked building in a separate tree,
which might fail in po again.

> This means that the changes should REQUIRE version 2.50, except that I
> don't have it on my system!
>
> Why did they have to change Autoconf incompatibly???

 Autoconf seems to be mostly compatible, except of a few obscure cases,
which were mostly a result of looking at a previous implementation instead
of a documented behaviour.

 In wget's case, the problem is a reference to ac_given_srcdir (FYI,
gettext 0.10.38 suffers from the same problem).  I think you could discuss
any compatibility problems on the autoconf's mailing list.

+        e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED], PGP key available        +