Ed Powell wrote:

> I was compiling wget 1.7 on MacOS X 10.1 (Darwin 1.4).  Around line 435 in
> html-parse.c there's the section:
>
>         case AC_S_QUOTE1:
>           assert (ch == '\'' || ch == '"');
>           quote_char = ch;      /* cheating -- I really don't feel like
>                                    introducing more different states for
>                                    different quote characters. */
>           ch = *p++;
>           state = AC_S_IN_QUOTE;
>           break;
>
> I had to change:
>
>         assert (ch == '\'' || ch == '"');
>
> to:
>
>         assert (ch == '\'' || ch == '\"');
>
> Otherwise, it would not compile... it was, I think, interpreting the ",
> rather than using it literally.  Escaping it appears to have fixed the
> problem.

Right conclusion, wrong fix. Fix the broken software not the correct
one, i.e. your fix breaks wget on another broken platform (read the
below links if cannot guess which). You don't want to use Apple's
precompiler anyway.

http://www.mail-archive.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=short&config=wget_sunsite_dk&restrict=&exclude=&words=darwin
http://www.mail-archive.com/wget@sunsite.dk/msg01532.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/wget@sunsite.dk/msg01289.html