I haven't been able to test yet the progress bar ecc, but from the
documentation there seems (to me) something lacking (inserting foot into
mouth):

The old dotstyle micro mega binary now are dot:micro dot:mega
dot:binary. Micro mega and binary for itself don't have any meaning
currently - so make them aliases for either dot:micro (ecc) or bar:micro
(ecc) for sake of compatibility to existing scripts using --dotstyle and
existing .wgetrcs.

There seems (looking at the docs) no way to say "use bar; in case of
fallback to dot, use style X" - it will fallback to 1K dots always. It
should be possible to specify something like bar:micro bar:mega or
bar:binary, too: use bar, in case of fallback use dot with the specified
dot granularity.

Looking at both I'd say alias micro (ecc.) to dot:micro (ecc.) if you
prefer 1.8 to behave (in case of preexisting .wgetrc or command line
option) just like older versions; alias them to bar:whatever if you want
to push the new, more fancy output.

Heiko

--
-- PREVINET S.p.A.            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Via Ferretto, 1            ph  x39-041-5907073