On 15 Oct 2001, at 18:10, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> I've been pulling my hair trying to build wget 1.7 on cygwin...
>
> This is the first time I attempt to compile ANYTHING on cygwin, so maybe
> perhaps someone will give me some clues...
>
> First, I fire Cygwin Bash shell.
>
> Second,  I "gzip -d wget17.tar.gz"
>
> Third, I "tar xvf wget17.tar"
>
> So far, so good.
>
> But then why does "make" or "make install" fail? Why does cygwin refuse
> to execute "install-sh".

Did you do "./configure" ?

> Undisclosed@WINBOX d:/work/wget-1.7
> $ make
> Makefile:30: *** missing separator (did you mean TAB instead of 8
> spaces?).  Sto
> p.
>
> I also tried to run "configure.bat" but it tells me to run NMAKE. I try
> to run NMAKE and find out it seems I don't have it!. (And I did a FULL
> Cygwin install that took several hours fetching stuff with my DSL link!,
> I thought I'd have everything needed to build anything I want, by
> now...).

configure.bat is for building the native Win32 version. NMAKE is a
Microsoft program that comes with VC++.

> I'm sure someone has "been there", pulling your hair for the first time,
> like me.
>
> Am I supposed to use a different (better?) environment than cygwin ? I
> thought that building the latest wget with cygwin would be a "fire and
> forget" operation... :-/

Are you using the old cygwin-b20 or the "new, improved" cygwin 1.x?

I built it okay using the new, incrementally upgradable Cygwin 1.x
(though I haven't upgraded it since the middle of September). I'm
also running it on a NT-based system, rather than a 95-based system.

I've also just built it with cygwin-b20 okay (also on my NT system).