"Hrvoje" == Hrvoje Niksic writes:

 >> this is not strictly speaking a bug, but is an inconsistency.
 >>
 >> when i run
 >>
 >> wget -x http://some.host/path%20to%20file/file%20name.html
 >>
 >> wget saves the result in "some.host/path%20to%20file/file
 >> name.html"
 >>
 >> i.e. it decodes %-characters in filename, but not in directory
 >> name(s).

 Hrvoje> The inconsistency is a bug.  It is intended that Wget encodes
 Hrvoje> all the unsafe characters, both in files and directories.
 Hrvoje> (It is debatable whether that is a bug.)  This patch makes it
 Hrvoje> consistent, but I will not apply it before the 1.8.1 release:

i did not look at the result of the patch,
but does it result in ENCODING of all URL-unsafe characters when
saving the file on the local filesystem?

i think wget should ENCODE all unsafe characters when making a request
to HTTP or FTP server, but wgen SHOULD NOT encode URL-unsafe
characters when saving files on local filesystem, because they are not
unsafe for the filesystem.

Best,
v.