On 29/01/2002 15:54:17 Andre Majorel wrote:

[snip debate about following links in HTML retrieved by FTP]

>I'm inclined to think that recursive retrieval without parsing
>is a feature. HTML content is normally served over HTTP. If you
>want to retrieve HTML through FTP, it's likely because you do
>*not* want to follow the links.

I (client) don't get the choice. If the document at
http://foo.bar/index.html has all its links like this:

<A HREF="ftp://foo.bar/welcome.html";>welcome</A>

the client has no choice but to retrieve them via FTP.
It would be nice if wget was able to follow all those links.

>If Wget always parsed HTML, even over FTP, it would be
>impossible to make a complete mirror a tree that has broken href
>links or hidden files.

Perhaps "If wget started with FTP, it should mirror FTP-like
(.listing and all that). If it started via HTTP, it should follow links,
regardless of future retrieval modes"

[snip]

--
Csaba Ráduly, Software Engineer                           Sophos Anti-Virus
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        http://www.sophos.com