[The message I'm replying to was sent to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. I'm
continuing the thread on <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> as there is no bug and
I'm turning it into a discussion about features.]

On 18 Feb 2002 at 15:14, TD - Sales International Holland B.V. wrote:

> I've tried -w 30
> --waitretry=30
> --wait=30 (I think this one is for multiple files and the time in between
> those though)
>
> None of these seem to make wget wanna wait for 30 secs before trying again.
> Like this I'm hammering the server.

The --waitretry option will wait for 1 second for the first retry,
then 2 seconds, 3 seconds, etc. up to the value specified. So you
may consider the first few retry attempts to be hammering the
server but it will gradually back off.

It sounds like you want an option to specify the initial retry
interval (currently fixed at 1 second), but Wget currently has no
such option, nor an option to change the amount it increments by
for each retry attempt (also currently fixed at 1 second).

If such features were to be added, perhaps it could work something
like this:

--waitretry=n     - same as --waitretry=n,1,1
--waitretry=n,m   - same as --waitretry=n,m,1
--waitretry=n,m,i - wait m seconds for the first retry,
                    incrementing by i seconds for subsequent
                    retries up to a maximum of n seconds

The disadvantage of doing it that way is that no-one will remember
which order the numbers should appear, so an alternative is to
leave --waitretry alone and supplement it with --waitretryfirst
and --waitretryincr options.