From:                   "Tony Lewis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                Automatic posting to forms
Date sent:              Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:43:28 -0800

As promised in my earlier note, there is a second
feature I'm looking for in
wget. This feature is the ability to automatically post
to forms. I'm
thinking of something along the lines of a command line
argument like:

  --auto-post=FILE

where FILE would contain data such as:

form=/cgi-bin/auth.cgi
name="id" value="tony"
name="pw" value="password"

With this information, any time that wget encounters a
form whose action is
"/cgi-bin/auth.cgi", it will enqueue the submission of
the form using the
values provided for the fields "id" and "pw".

Before I go too deep into making this change, I'd like
some feedback. I know
that I will need to change:
- get_urls_html to look for a <FORM> tag whose action
attribute matches the
auto-post file
- retrieve_tree to be able to POST as well as GET
- main and initialize to deal with the new command line
argument

Is there anything else that seems obvious that I'm
overlooking? Any cautions
about the sections of code I'll be working with?

Tony Lewis