Hi,

I'm using wget (with OpenSSL) utility to access some of our websites. The goal is just
to see if the web server responds an OK status and gives the default page requested.
The sites are a mixture of HTTP & HTTPS. Also most of our HTTPS sites are accessible
only thru a proxy (which is running HTTP). All the scenarios work great except one.
When I try to get a page back from a HTTPS site going thru a HTTP proxy, wget assumes
that the connection (conn object in gethttp()/http.c) is HTTP and sends a HTTP request
to the proxy (or conn). The proxy returns a Security Alert page and waits for the
client to start the SSL handshake (I forced the connection Keep-Alive as it is turned
off by default for proxies). But wget returns back to main() after reading all the
headers.

But the browsers seem to have no problems in handling that. So I went thru a sniffer
to see how the browser behaves in comparison to wget. As soon as the browser gets the
OK response from the server the browser starts exchanging information about the
certificates (the packets were in binary and I could make out only some words in
them). And after some exchanges have happened the browser gets the actual page from
the server.

I'm not sure if I'm missing to take care of something's in wget for this kind of
scenario to work or wget does not support this functionality as yet. I have tried all
kinds of settings on wget but nothing seems to work. Please let me know if there is an
easy way to achieve this or I have to dig into the code and add the functionality
myself. If I have to add this functionality please throw some light as where I should
be concentrating on in the wget code.

Thanks
Sury Shankar.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain sensitive and private
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is
waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you are not the intended recipient, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies
of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each legal entity in the CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON
or CREDIT SUISSE ASSET MANAGEMENT business units of CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message
states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any
such entity.
Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is indicative
only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to deal at any price
quoted. Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as
preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.