On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> Mauro Tortonesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >> Isn't the second check a matter of running a small test program, as in
> >> the check that Daniel provided (but more sophisticated)?
> >
> > sure. but what was the problem with stack detection? it's simply a couple
> > of AC_EGREP_CPP macros after all...
>
> The problem I have with IN6_GUESS_STACK is that it seems to rely on
> product information, in this case the known stack names.  And those
> things change.  So when "usagi" gets renamed to "yojimbo" or when we
> port Wget to a new IPv6-aware architecture, or when a new IPv6
> implementation gets added to an existing architecture, we need to
> update our Autoconf macros.  Updating the macros sucks, not only
> because M4 blows chunks, but also because it means that older source
> releases of Wget will no longer work.
>
> One of the design goals of Autoconf was to avoid the fallacy of older
> tools that had complex product databases that had to be maintained by
> hand.  Instead, most Autoconf tests try to check for features.  The
> exception are cases when such checks are not possible or feasible.
> This might or might not be the case here.  So if it really takes too
> long or it's just too hard to write a check, then we'll use a version
> of IN6_GUESS_STACK.

well, i like your "simply find libinet6 and check if its getaddrinfo is
better" approach. i'll try to implement it.

> > i could start from:
> >
> > http://cvs.deepspace6.net/view/nc6/config/in6_guess_stack.m4?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> >
> > and made it much simpler (15-30 lines). what is your opinion about
> > it?
>
> Simplifying that code, *and* adding a fallback that handles unknown
> stacks in a reasonable fashion (for example by assuming minimal
> functionality or strict standard compliance) sounds fine to me.  I'd
> still prefer a purely feature based check, but again, if you tell me
> it's hard or impossible to write one, I'll believe you.

not impossible. only a bit harder.

> >> If the latter is the case, should be a "use ipvX only" runtime
> >> option as well?
> >
> > i think that -4 and -6 command line options for wget are a MUST. the
> > first would make wget use ipv4 only, while the second would make
> > wget use ipv6 only. believe me, there are plenty of cases in which
> > you want to use such options.
>
> I agree that those options are useful.  And since Wget doesn't
> currently use numeric-only options, those are available.

i'll send you a patch for this too.

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Deep Space 6 - IPv6 with Linux  http://www.deepspace6.net
Ferrara Linux User Group        http://www.ferrara.linux.it