Repeatable, and it seems to appear with this:

2003-09-15  Hrvoje Niksic  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        * retr.c (get_contents): Reduce the buffer size to the amount of
        data that may pass through for one second.  This prevents long
        sleeps when limiting bandwidth.

        * connect.c (connect_to_one): Reduce the socket's RCVBUF when
        bandwidth limitation to small values is requested.

Previous checkout (checkout -D "23:30 15 sep 2003") wget works fine.
I also found a public site which seems to expose the problem (at least from
my machine):
wget -dv https://www.shavlik.com/pHome.aspx
dies after
DEBUG output created by Wget 1.9-beta on Windows.

--17:23:55--  https://www.shavlik.com/pHome.aspx
           => `www.shavlik.com/pHome.aspx'
Resolving www.shavlik.com... 65.173.207.46
Caching www.shavlik.com => 65.173.207.46