Herold Heiko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Solution 1: have a switch like --use-protocol-dir = [no|most|all]
>
> "no" would be the current state:
> ./www.some.site/index.html
> ./www.some.site/index.html
> ./www.some.site/index.html
>
> "all" would be: always add a directory level for the protocol:
> ./http/www.some.site/index.html
> ./https/www.some.site/index.html
> ./ftp/www.some.site/index.html

That sounds like a good suggestion, except, I'd personally go for a
simple yes/no.  People who don't need it will never use it, and people
who do need it won't mind the "all" semantics (I think).

Plus, <*plug*>, in the new code, it's dead easy to add.  For example,
in url_file_name, url.c:1691, you could write:

if (opt.add_protocol_dir)
  append_string (scheme_name (u->scheme), &fnres);

Implementation of scheme_name is left as an excercise to the reader.
:-)