"jayme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[...]

Before anything else, note that the patch originally written for 1.8.2
will need change for 1.9.  The change is not hard to make, but it's
still needed.

The patch didn't make it to canonical sources because it assumes `long
long', which is not available on many platforms that Wget supports.
The issue will likely be addressed in 1.10.

Having said that:

> I tried the patch Debian bug report 137989 and didnt work. Can
> anybody explain:
> 1 - why I have to make to directories for patch work: one
> wget-1.8.2.orig and one wget-1.8.2 ?

You don't.  Just enter Wget's source and type `patch -p1 <patchfile'.
`-p1' makes sure that the top-level directories, such as
"wget-1.8.2.orig" and "wget-1.8.2" are stripped when finding files to
patch.

> 2 - why after compilation the wget still cant download the file >
> 2GB ?

I suspect you've tried to apply the patch to Wget 1.9-beta, which
doesn't work, as explained above.