Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> I see.  Hmm.. if you have to post-process the list anyway, wouldn't it
> be more useful to have a list of *all* encountered URLs?  It might be
> nice to accompany this output with the exit statuses, so people can
> easily grep for 404's.

One may or may not need to post-process the list. For this example, I do.

The output is a list of links that wget didn't even try to retrieve based on
the command line criteria so there is no status code.

> A comprehensive reporting facility has often been requested.  Perhaps
> something should be done about it for the next release.

That's an interesting extension of this option. I think we would need to
invent a status value (say "---") for unfollowed links. The output file
could then contain a list of all URLs that were examined by wget.

Would something like the following be what you had in mind?

301 http://www.mysite.com/
200 http://www.mysite.com/index.html
200 http://www.mysite.com/followed.html
401 http://www.mysite.com/needpw.html