Herold Heiko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> From: Hrvoje Niksic [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>> > This is a binary compiled and run on windows nt 4, which
>> doesn't support
>> > IPV6, so the -4 should probably be a no-op ?
>>
>> Or not work at all.
>
> I was thinking (rather late, I see you have changed other IPV6 stuff in the
> meantime),

Not late at all, this stuff is still very much in flux, and Mauro
might still come and change it again.  (He was to implement -4 and -6,
but he was very busy with other things so I went ahead and provided a
reference implementation which he's free to ignore.)

> why cut the -4 switch if no IPV6 is present ? The principle of least
> surprise would say leave the switch there in order to avoid a
> "unknown switch" error.
>
> Suppose you have a bunch of machines, some with, some without IPV6
> support.  You always want to enforce IPV4 usage. With a -4 switch
> always supported a simple wget -4 would do the trick in any script
> used on all those machines.  Without that you'd need to have some
> mean to detect the IPV6 support and change the wget switches used
> accordingly.
>
> Same thing for -6 in fact - leave the switch even if no IPV6 is
> present and supported, die with a meaningful error message (much
> better than a "unknown switch" failure).

In principle, I agree with this.  `-4' should be a no-op on an
IPv6-challenged Wget.

Note that, in the current code, it's not so easy to just "disable" a
switch or a `.wgetrc' command, but it's doable.  If someone wants to
work on this, please do.