Erez Doron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>Use `--restrict-file-names=nocontrol'.  Have you looked at the
>>documentation?
>>
> i did 'wget --restrict-file-names=help' and got the options 'unix' and
> 'windows' only.

`help' is not the valid keyword, what you got was just an error
message, not full documentation.  Wget is documented in the Info
reference manual, installed to /usr/local/info by default.

When helping people, I tend to assume that they have at least looked
at the manual.  In this case:

`--restrict-file-names=MODE'
     Change which characters found in remote URLs may show up in local
     file names generated from those URLs.  Characters that are
     "restricted" by this option are escaped, i.e. replaced with `%HH',
     where `HH' is the hexadecimal number that corresponds to the
     restricted character.

     By default, Wget escapes the characters that are not valid as part
     of file names on your operating system, as well as control
     characters that are typically unprintable.  This option is useful
     for changing these defaults, either because you are downloading to
     a non-native partition, or because you want to disable escaping of
     the control characters.

     When mode is set to "unix", Wget escapes the character `/' and the
     control characters in the ranges 0-31 and 128-159.  This is the
     default on Unix-like OS'es.

     When mode is set to "windows", Wget escapes the characters `\',
     `|', `/', `:', `?', `"', `*', `<', `>', and the control characters
     in the ranges 0-31 and 128-159.  In addition to this, Wget in
     Windows mode uses `+' instead of `:' to separate host and port in
     local file names, and uses `@' instead of `?' to separate the
     query portion of the file name from the rest.  Therefore, a URL
     that would be saved as `www.xemacs.org:4300/search.pl?input=blah'
     in Unix mode would be saved as
     `www.xemacs.org+4300/[EMAIL PROTECTED]' in Windows mode.  This
     mode is the default on Windows.

     If you append `,nocontrol' to the mode, as in `unix,nocontrol',
     escaping of the control characters is also switched off.  You can
     use `--restrict-file-names=nocontrol' to turn off escaping of
     control characters without affecting the choice of the OS to use
     as file name restriction mode.