Thanks for persisting with this.  It doesn't look like a mishandled
redirection -- the response headers exist and they don't request a
redirection or any kind of refresh.

access_log shows that 30 bytes have been transmitted.  As it happens,
the string "Virtual user ricks logged in.\n" is exactly thirty bytes
long.  If there is an error, it seems to be on the server's side.  At
least I can't see that Wget is doing anything obviously wrong in the
request.

To modify the request, you could try one or more of these:

* Use `--user-agent' to pretend to be a web browser.  The server
  software might be checking for browser versions.

* Use `--no-http-keep-alive' to get rid of the `Connection' header.

* Use `--header "Accept:
text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,image/jpeg,image/gif;q=0.2,*/*;q=0.1"'
  to force the Accept header to the value that Mozilla uses and that
  apparently works on your site.  For this to work, you need the CVS
  version of Wget.

Even better would be if you could try the same site with another
OpenSSL-using client, such as "curl".  If it doesn't work, the problem
might be related to the site.  If it does work, we can take a look at
what curl does differently.