David Fritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> IIUC, GNU coreutils uses uintmax_t to store large numbers relating to
> the file system and prints them with something like this:
>
>    char buf[INT_BUFSIZE_BOUND (uintmax_t)];
>    printf (_("The file is %s octets long.\n"), umaxtostr (size, buf));

That's probably the most portable way to do it.

I guess that solves the remaining technical difficulty.  The things
that need to be done for large file support then are:

* Use AC_SYS_LARGEFILE in configure.in.  Make sure the compilation
  flags contain the proper large file support incantations.

* Change most (all?) occurrences of `long' in the code to `off_t'.  Or
  should we go the next logical step and just use uintmax_t right
  away?

* Profit!

Some of this has already been done in the submitted patch.