When I speak of the "error stream" as opposed to the "input stream", I
refer to the terms used in the Java API.  The latter is meaningful when
the response code is 2xx, and the error stream is meaningful when the
response code is not in that range.

When HTTP applications are HTML-based, both the input stream and the
error stream are likely to be HTML, so it doesn't make sense to exclude
one, but not the other.

However, when the HTTP application is XML-based, the error stream will
often be meaningful (and interpretable).

I don't know whether it's reasonable to make the error stream show up by
default, or turned on by an option.  It depends a bit on whether
changing that functionality would affect any existing uses.