Ok, I've dug some more on this one and would appreciate some comments
on this -- where to look further ...

... as www.cnn.com is a bit large for a test case, I added debug
printfs to convert_all_links() to count and print all instances where
the url contained the string "1.gif" -- the file whose URL doesn't
always get converted to a local/relative link.

there were 54 instances found; albeit split between 2 servers, so
that 2 files were actually downloaded -- 1.gif and 1.gif.1.

after tidy-ing and grep-ing the output index.html, there were
58 instances of 1.gif being mentioned.  4 failed to be converted
to mention the local file.

[ I could cut the test case down considerably if I could figure out
  how to submit a html file to wget for processing, rather than
  have it wade thru cnn.com ... ]

any insights as to how to continue to debug this one? -- I'd appreciate more comments than already rec'd [none :-O]. is this a known bug? is there some limit I'm hitting ...?

thanks,

Mark