On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:13:09AM +0100, Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> 1) Wget fails on "resume"
> 2) Wget terminates with an "assertion"
>    (BTW: squid has problems too)
>
> "Assertion failed: bytes >= 0, file retr.c, line 292"

Meanwhile i found the FAQ (with manually seraching the mailing list!)... ;-)
http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/faq.html#3.1
  "Does GNU wget support files larger than 2GB?"

Maybe the FAQ should include this error message(s) explicit
and not just "issues a misleading error message."

I searched for the message, but google shows only 2 old
two hits with that error message.

Too the statement "It downloads [only] a portion of the file"
is at least for files smaller than 4GiB not true for
the windows NT version and some server.
wget downloaded the 3,3GB file intact.