Mauro Tortonesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> It is rather common that either the charset at the remote host or
>> the charset at the local host are set incorrectly.
>
> this is not a problem. actually (apart from the case of a document
> returned as an HTTP response) we cannot be sure that the charset
> used by the server is exactly our locale. the only two reasonable
> things we can do are:
>
> - assume all data is ASCII
> - assume all data is in our locale charset

We should simply do the former, and escape non-ASCII stuff.  See my
correct.

> the second assumption allows us to avoid problems like this one:

The only reason why that bug occurred was the broken "hotfix" that
escaped *all* non-ASCII content printed by Wget, instead of only that
actually read from the network.  We don't need iconv to fix that, we
need correct quoting.