On Tuesday 22 February 2005 00:10, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> If wide chars were in that message, you could no longer print it with
> printf, which means that a majority of gettext-using programs would be
> utterly broken, Wget included.  I imagine I would have gotten a bunch
> of bug reports for that kind of thing in the 7 or so years that Wget
> has been using gettext.

I have an interesting tale to tell.

Approx one year ago I switched locale from it_IT.ISO-8859-1 to it_IT.UTF-8.
Since then, almost everything has been fine, except a few application having
some visualization or interaction problem.  I never reported them cause I was
conviced it was my problem, some misconfiguration of something.
This week I had enough time to tinker, so I've tried to figure out why I get
this answer when asking for a non-existent man page:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ man doesntexist
  Non c'ïuna voce per doesntexist

You see?  There's a square symbol between "Non c'" and "una voce".
It's an encoding failure.  If it worked, it would read:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ man doesntexist
  Non c'Ã una voce per doesntexist

Looking at man code I've found it still uses catget, a translation tool older
than gettext.  The italian translation file is written in iso-8859-1 and
catget doesn't convert it to my locale on the fly (as gettext would), so here
is the bug.
Everybody using a locale with a charset encoding different than the only one
supported would hit the problem, not just italian/utf-8.

After reporting to the man maintainer I've discovered:

 1. he never got complaints in the many years after translation
 2. he wasn't aware of the problem
 3. he would be happy to switch to gettext to fix it

So what I wanted to say is that your point of view is OK, cause as long as
nobody complains you can *pretend* the problem is not there, but this doesn't
make the problem vanish automatically ;) Sooner or later, someone will hit
it, or maybe some people already hit it all the time but they don't realize
it's a bug.

--
Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit -- Ovidio