On Tuesday 19 April 2005 09:21 pm, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / åèèæ wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (at Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:55:42 +0200),
Hrvoje Niksic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> says:
> > Is this the intended behavior of the -4/-6 switches:
> >
> > $ wget -4 http://\[::ffff:127.0.0.1\]
> > --00:35:50--  http://[::ffff:127.0.0.1]/
> >            => `index.html'
> > failed: Name or service not known.
> > $ wget -6 http://\[::ffff:127.0.0.1\]
> > --00:35:54--  http://[::ffff:127.0.0.1]/
> >            => `index.html'
> > Connecting to ::ffff:127.0.0.1:80... connected.
> >
> > Should -4/-6 make a better attempt to deal with this, or is the
> > current behavior fine?  If the latter is the case, should we document
> > the current behavior?
>
> -4/-6 make sense when and only when we use name (instead of address)
> to connect host. e.g.:
>     wget -4 http://localhost/

right.

> (So, it is not necessary at all to do as nc6 does.)

well, to defend myself, i have to say that nc6 handles the -4 and -6 switches
by simply setting the ai_family member of the hints struct to be passed to
getaddrinfo to PF_INET6 and PF_INET respectively, instead of the PF_UNSPEC
default. so, the behaviour of -4 and -6 switches with numeric addresses in
nc6 is just a byproduct of this simple assignement. ;-)

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi

University of Ferrara - Dept. of Eng.    http://www.ing.unife.it
Institute of Human & Machine Cognition   http://www.ihmc.us
Deep Space 6 - IPv6 for Linux            http://www.deepspace6.net