This worked perfectly, THANKS!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Hrvoje Niksic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tanton Gibbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <wget@sunsite.dk>
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 8:50 AM
Subject: Re: 404 error & redirect

"Tanton Gibbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I'm setting up a site for my company to allow people to get certain
files out of our company repository. Basically, I want people to be
able to write the following:
wget http://servername/~tgibbs/FileWanted.rpm
However, the files are stored someplace else and I don't want to
mirror them. Therefore, I have set up an ErrorDocument in apache
that on 404 errors redirects to another page. The second page, then
determines the referring URI and serves up the correct rpm. This
works fine if I'm using internet explorer, but wget gives me a 404
error :-( For some reason, it is not following the internal
redirect.

Unlike IE, Wget doesn't show error responses to the user, so it can't follow the redirect embedded in HTML. (And Wget doesn't follow them anyway, unless you use -r.)

Does anyone know a way around this?

I think a more correct way would be to use a rewrite rule to handle misspelled URLs. The rewrite should generate a real redirection, which would work with all browsers.