Hello,

When I try to combine the options -O and -N, timestamping is not used,
but the file is downloaded all the time. Timestamping does however check
the file that would be used without the -O option. Consider the
following scenario:

$ wget http://example.com/index.html

wget retrieves the file. Assume that after this, index.html changes.

$ wget -N http://example.com/index.html -O example_index.html

wget retrieves it correctly again, but does so after inspecting
index.html
Assume that after this, the index.html does not change.

$wget -N http://example.com/index.html -O example_index.html

wget will now again download index.html because it inspects the local
index.html and not example_index.html!

$wget -N http://example.com/index.html

wget will now again correctly download index.html

$wget -N http://example.com/index.html -O example_index.html

And because index.html is now up-to-date wget will not re-download the
page.

Because this behaviour is unexpected and undocumented, I consider it a
bug.
--
Sincerely,
Dennis Kaarsemaker