Since Wget 1.10 also prints sizes in kilobytes/megabytes/etc., I am
thinking of removing the thousand separators from size display.  The
reasons are:

* The separators need to be manually removed when the numbers are
  pasted into any software that deals with numbers, such as "bc".
  This problem was outweighed by their usefulness for gauging orders
  of magnitude, but now that we also print sizes in human-readable
  units, this advantage comes in question.

* The separators are interpunction which introduces clutter,
  especially with complex size output also containing the "remaining"
  size next to the whole size.

* There is pressure to replace the "," character with the character
  mandated by the locale (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/8avkf).  I've been
  reluctant to do so because of my belief that basic properties of
  Unix program's output, such as the display of numbers, should be, if
  possible, unaffected by locale.

* I was surprised to learn (http://tinyurl.com/dlxtl) that some
  cultures use "myriad separators" (which group together four digits)
  rather than thousand separators.  Of course, it is trivial to make
  the grouping configurable, but the code would need to look at
  obscure locale settings which, given the above, seems like more
  trouble than it's worth.

What do you think?