Owen Cliffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there a good reason why retrieve tree doesn't just return the
> status of the last failed operation on failure?

The original reason (which I don't claim to be "good") is because Wget
doesn't stop upon on error, it continues.  Because of this returning a
non-zero error code felt wrong, because the download has after all
"finished succesffully".  The "quota exceeded" case is an exception
consistent with this logic because, when quota is exceeded, Wget
really terminates the entire download.

But you present a convincing argument otherwise.  Maybe Wget should
use different error codes for different cases, like:

0 -- all files downloaded successfully (not counting errors in
     robots.txt and such)
1 -- some errors encountered
2 -- fatal errors encountered (such as the "quota exceeded" case),
     download aborted

What do others think about this?