I haven't touched an AIX system for a _long_ while (4.1.4, as I
recall), but if "configure" says:

checking build system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0
                                             =======

then I'd say that a move to AIX 4.3.3 would not generally be considered
an "upgrade".

   Clearly, what should be simple C compile-link-run is failing, but
it's not obvious (to me) why.

   Basic questions would be:

      What is a "cc" command actually running?

      Does it need some AIX-specific options to work the way gcc does?

      Is there a "libc.a" object library somewhere ("/usr/lib"?), and
      does it contain a "shr.o" module?  ("Could not load module
      libc.a(shr.o). \ System error: No such file or directory" sure
      looks suspicious to me.)

      Is there some alternate C compiler interface which might work
      better (like "/usr/something/cc", instead of whatever "cc" is
      getting now)?

      Have you considered installing GCC?  (You'd like to think that
      that wouldn't be needed.)

   Steven M. Schweda               (+1) 651-699-9818
   382 South Warwick Street        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Saint Paul  MN  55105-2547