Karr, David ha scritto:
Inside our firewall, we can't do simple DNS lookups for hostnames
outside of our firewall.  However, I can write a Java program that uses
commons-httpclient, specifying the proxy credentials, and my URL
referencing an external host name will connect to that host perfectly
fine, obviously resolving the DNS name under the covers.

If I then use wget to do a similar request, even if I specify the proxy
credentials, it fails to find the host.  If I instead plug in the IP
address instead of the hostname, it works fine.

I noticed that the command-line options for wget allow me to specify the
proxy user and password, but they don't have a way to specify the proxy
host and port.

right. you have to specify the hostname/IP address and port of your proxy in your .wgetrc, or by means of the -e option:

wget -e 'http_proxy = http://yourproxy:8080/' --proxy-user=user --proxy-password=password -Y on http://someurl.com

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi                          http://www.tortonesi.com

University of Ferrara - Dept. of Eng.    http://www.ing.unife.it
GNU Wget - HTTP/FTP file retrieval tool  http://www.gnu.org/software/wget
Deep Space 6 - IPv6 for Linux            http://www.deepspace6.net