Axel Boldt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I would like to advocate for a multithreading/parallel download
> feature and I believe the last quoted sentence above is simply
> false; parallel downloading provides considerable speedups in almost
> all settings.

The most noticable speedup in the single-server case is when you share
the bandwidth with other persons or programs.  In that case, if a
single download is using 1/n of the available bandwidth, two will use
2/(n+1), which is obviously more.

However, this approach is somewhat questionable because it is a way of
"cheating" -- on a shared connection, you get the additional speed by
making other people's downloads that much slower.  If everyone were
using such mechanisms, you'd end up back to 1/n, with downloads being
slower for everyone to boot (a tragedy-of-the-commons-type situation).

> All this is on single processor machines.

I don't think processor speed plays a role here.  In Wget's case, the
data still arrives from the Internet much slower than the processor is
able to process it.