Micah Cowan wrote:

> This information is currently in the bug submitting form at Savannah:

That looks good.

> I think perhaps such things as the wget version and operating system
> ought to be emitted by default anyway (except when -q is given).

I'm not convinced that wget should ordinarily emit the operating system. It's
really only useful to someone other than the person running the command.

> Other than that, what kinds of things would --bug provide above and
> beyond --debug?

It should echo the command line and the contents of .wgetrc to the bug output,
which even the --debug option does not do. Perhaps we will think of other
things to include in the output if this option gets added.

However, the big difference would be where the output was directed. When
invoked as:
    wget ... --bug bug_report

all interesting (but sanitized) information would be written to the file
bug_report whether or not the command included --debug, which would also direct
the debugging output to STDOUT.

The main reason I had for suggesting this option is that it would be easy to
tell newbies with problems to run the exact same command with "--bug
bug_report" and send the file bug_report to the list (or to whomever is working
on the problem). The user wouldn't see the command behave any differently, but
we'd have the information we need to investigate the report.

It might even be that most of us would choose to run with --bug most of the
time relying on the normal wget output except when something appears to have
gone wrong and then checking the file when it does.

Tony