From: Ezequiel Garzón Lucero

> Could anybody tell me the default value for the -w option. Based on
> wget's speed, I imagine it's not even 1, right?

   Zero, I assume.

> But then, how come
> wget users are not flagged as DoS offenders (at least not all the
> time)?

   Some users do not always ask for recursion through an entire site.
My most frequent use of wget is to fetch a single file.  Recursion,
while sometimes useful, is not particularly common for me.

   Also, I'm not able to disable (or even greatly inconvenience) a
server whose bandwidth is greater than mine.  With my limited (DSL)
bandwidth, that leaves much of the world safe from an attack by me.

> [...]  does anybody
> know what are the standard thresholds for repeated requests?

   I'd say that it depends on the target of the requests.  If I see
annoying stuff in my Web or FTP server logs, I complain to the ISP for
the pest.  If it recurs, I block that IP address.  Most serious
denial-of-service attacks use more than one attacker.  A single wget
user can't do very much harm.

   Steven M. Schweda               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   382 South Warwick Street        (+1) 651-699-9818
   Saint Paul  MN  55105-2547